The perfect winter destination.
Join us as we take on the Lofoten Islands dressed in white. The sun is returning to Northern Norway at this time, so we will make sure you get plenty of chances to capture beautiful light both during the day and also at night.
What do our clients say?
Above and beyond!
“They are truly professional in every aspect and extremely hard working. I am looking forward to booking another trip with them. Nordic Photo Tours is top notch!!!”
— Debbie M
Hardest working crew!
“I had the privilege of spending 7 days with these three trip guides in Lofoten. It was an amazing trip and Tor, Even and Roy are all really talented photographers, great teachers and all around great guys. ”
— David L.
About the workshop.
During this week long tour, the Lofoten Islands will be covered in snow from top to bottom and the moon will be very near new - giving us the best possible chance to witness the amazing aurora borealis.
We will spend these days exploring the many world-class locations the region has to offer. With a base at the Hattvika Lodges, we are lodging in the heart of Lofoten - giving us access to the amazing locations with ease. The lodge at Hattvika balances the feeling of luxury and living at sea lodge perfectly. You will be amazed!
We will pick you up at Evenes Airport and take you and the rest of the eager photographers to Hattvika Lodge where we will start off with a proper meet and greet. At this point, you will get to know us a bit better as well as the other participants.
During this week you will get courses in night photography specifically oriented towards capturing the northern lights aka the aurora borealis. You will be taken too amazing places in time for the good light and when you are not out shooting, Even and James will teach you how they use Adobe Lightroom to produce the images they envisioned from the day.
This workshop is beginner friendly and will not be dipping into the world of Photoshop, but stick to Lightroom only.
What about food? We will be served dinners by the local chef at Hattvika Lodge. This is a superb arena for us to chit chat and for you to ask questions you forgot in the field. Breakfast and lunch is usually made by yourself at the lodge or we eat that out, depending on our schedule for the day. There are many convenient stores near where we are staying, so getting the food and snack you want is quite easy.
Transport from and to Harstad/Narvik Airport Evenes (EVE), accommodation at Hattvika Lodge for the duration of the workshop, photography guiding both in the field and also post-processing session at Hattvika.
You will be served dinners made by the local chef everyday. This is a great arena to make conversation and get ready for chasing the northern lights afterwards.
While dinners are included, breakfast and lunch are not - there will be plenty of chances to buy groceries and prepared meals during this workshop. Also not included are any private insurances and any costs required to travel to and from Harstad/Narvik Airport Evenes (EVE) from to to your home location.
About The Lofoten Islands
Lofoten is an archipelago famous for its dramatic scenery. A string of islands is connected by road, bridges, and tunnels. In each of these islands, you will find picturesque villages and hidden beaches. In total, the region has a population of about 24500.
Our base camp will be at the heart of Lofoten, at the beautiful Hattvika Lodge in the small town of Ballstad.
"You’ll never forget your first approach to the Lofoten Islands.
The islands spread their tall, craggy physique against the sky like some spiky sea dragon, and you wonder how human beings eke out a living in such seemingly inhospitable surroundings. The beauty of this place is simply staggering."
What To Bring
- You should bring a camera you are comfortable using. We recommend you to bring a camera with full manual control as well as interchangeable lenses.
- We will be photographing a variety of locations, so having a selection of lenses to chose from is nice. A wide-angle lens, as well as a telephoto lens, is recommended. It is also highly recommended that you have an ultra-wide-angle lens with an aperture of f2.8 or faster to capture the aurora borealis. A full frame equivalent range from 14mm to 200mm is recommended.
- Since part of this tour is about capturing the night sky as well, you will need a sturdy tripod to be able to do long exposures. If you don´t own one, you can rent one from us.
- Filters are optional but recommended.
- A laptop able to run Adobe Lightroom is highly recommended as you will be able to receive personal tutoring in that application. Make sure you have the latest versions before you arrive.
- Extras like batteries, memory cards, and lens cloth are also highly recommended. Batteries will drain fast in the cold.
- Lofoten Islands will be at its peak of winter at this time and temperatures will most likely be cold. The weather can change very fast, so proper winter clothing is necessary. Being able to protect ourselves from the elements is key to a successful workshop.
A good set of base layers, mid-layers for warmth such as fleece and down. A shell jacketand quick-dry hiking pants will help to protect against the elements as well. Good snow bootsor insulated hiking boots are advised. Having a warm hat and gloves is essential. A face cover, such as a balaclava, may also help you to be more comfortable in windy conditions.
We will spend a good amount of time outside in the dark, so bring a headlamp.
We will prioritize catching that dramatic light, so we will be on the move for sunrises, sunsets and of course the northern lights.
The weather in the Lofoten Islands is highly unpredictable, so we will have to adapt as we go. You can, however, rest assured that we will visit amazing locations up to several times per day!
Dates: March 1 - March 8, 2019
Availability: 10 of 10 seats
Payment: €2990 Based on double occupancy. You will be sharing the room with someone of your gender, unless anything else is agreed upon. Single room is extra.
The deposit is €800. All payments are done via PayPal or Bank Transfer.
The deposit is non-refundable and full payment is due 60 days prior to the tour.
Arrival: Harstad/Narvik Airport, Evenes (EVE). March 1st, no later than 11am.
Departure: Harstad/Narvik Airport, Evenes (EVE). March 8th, after 11am.